Are you with us? Transfer your mobile or landline number to T-Mobile and join the Uncarrier! If you have questions about how to transfer (port out) your mobile number to another carrier, we’ve got the information right here.
On this page:
Transferring your number, also known as porting, is the process by which you transfer your phone number from one carrier to another.
- There is no charge for transferring your phone numbers
- For wireless lines, the transfer will typically complete from 10 minutes to 24 hours
- For landlines, the transfer may take anywhere from 2 – 10 days
- Please note: the timing of your number transfer depends on the accuracy of the information provided
There are a few steps you’ll want to complete to ensure a successful number transfer experience:
- First, let's check eligibility. In rare instances, your number may not be eligible if we don't have a transfer agreement with your original service provider. If this happens, we can give you a brand new number.
- Here's the information you'll need to transfer your number:
- Keep your service active with the other carrier until your number is fully activated with T-Mobile. Your account with your previous service provider must remain active to transfer your number over.
- Back up your contacts, voicemail, and text messages before transferring your number to T-Mobile. Your voicemail will reset after the port completes.
- To make sure you don't miss any important calls or texts, it's best to wait to transfer your number until after you get your new device and SIM card.
How to initiate a transfer to T-Mobile.
- Give us a call: It's that simple! Give us a call at 1-800-937-8997, and let us know that you're ready to make the switch! For prepaid, call 1-877-778-2106.
- Go to a store: You can also go to one of our stores and get some face-time with one of our Mobile Experts. If you have a prepaid account that you'd like to transfer, come to one of our stores to begin the process.
- Do it online: Rather begin your transfer online? Of course you can! Follow the number transfer instructions on the payment page at checkout. We recommend this method if you don't need to use you current phone until your new T-Mobile phone or SIM card arrives.
Now you can start the transition to your new T-Mobile account.
- You'll get a text message from T-Mobile to let you know your number transfer has started.
- You may experience something called dual service during the transfer process. This is a period of up to 24 hours where service may be active on both phones. If you have to call 911 during this time, stay on the line. 911 may not be able to call you back.
- After completing your numbers transfer to T-Mobile, if there are any remaining lines with your previous service provider that you do not intent to keep, you may need to call them to cancel your account and avoid unexpected charges.
- To check the status of your transfer request, contact an expert at 1-877-789-3106.
- With Carrier Freedom, T-Mobile will pay early termination fees or device payments for up to five lines that are currently under a postpaid contract with AT&T or Verizon.
- Looking for a deal? We've got you covered. Check out our current Deals to find if there's anything that fits your needs. Love your current device that much? That's fine, too. Check out our Bring your own device program.
If you need help with your account or device, Contact us!. If you still want to transfer your number, contact the other carrier to start the port-out process. To ensure a successful and seamless experience transferring your number out of T-Mobile, you’ll need the following information for your new service provider:
- Account Number (located on your T-Mobile account or bill)
- Temporary Port Out PIN (unless you are on a Business or Government account)
- The Temporary Port Out PIN may only be generated by the primary account holder
- Authorized Users looking to switch will need to contact the primary account holder to get their Temporary Port Out PIN
- Business or Government accounts will need a PIN/Passcode, and do not use the temporary port-out pin. If you have a business or government account and do not remember your PIN/Passcode, follow the directions here: Update your Customer PIN/Passcode.
If you have a consumer account, you will need to generate a Temporary Port Out PIN to move your phone number out of T-Mobile. Use the steps below to generate your PIN and provide it to your new service provider.
Note: Only the Primary Account Holder will be able to generate a Temporary Port Out PIN.
- Download and log in to the T-Mobile app
- Select Account
- Choose Line Settings.
- Select Request a transfer PIN
- Follow the directions on the screen
- Log in to your account on T-Mobile.com
- In the top right corner, select Account
- Choose Profile Settings
- Select Line Settings
- Follow the directions on the screen
Check port status
To check the status of your port request, contact an Expert at 1-877-789-3106. We'll look up your request, and give you any updates.
Was this helpful?