As millions have already learned, it’s easy to bring your unlocked device to T-Mobile. Most phones can work on our network but we suggest you check out these details before you start using your unlocked Android or Windows device.
T-Mobile is unable to guarantee devices from other carriers or those without T-Mobile software will work on our network. For additional details, check out the Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer.
- T-Mobile isn't able to test Non-T-Mobile Devices’ call quality, performance, data speed, feature compatibility, or other functionalities. Experiences may vary depending on the original carrier settings.
- Contact the manufacturer with any questions or problems regarding the device functionality, operation, or performance.
- Check your warranty and contract with your current carrier to determine what conditions apply to unlocking the device.
- Coverage and access to our high speed 4G LTE network is not guaranteed and isn't available in some areas.
- Your device must support the frequencies used by T-Mobile.
- A device must be unlocked to be compatible with the T-Mobile network. Check out Unlock your mobile wireless device if needed.
- T-Mobile can't provide an unlock code, contact the original carrier to request an unlock code.
- If your device isn't compatible after using these steps, you can trade in your current device and upgrade your device to a T-Mobile phone or tablet.
BYOD Check online
- Go to T-Mobile's IMEI Compatibility checker webpage.
- Enter your IMEI and select Check phone to determine the BYOD eligibility.
- If the checker shows "No match found," verify the device supports T-Mobile frequencies. Contact the manufacturer if your unsure of the device frequencies.
- Determine if your device supports VoLTE and Extended Range LTE.
- Use the device's user guide to determine which T-Mobile SIM card you need to purchase, check out Buy a SIM card.
- If you are not a T-Mobile customer and need help activating your phone or tablet, find a plan that is right for you.
Already have an account?
Internet and picture messaging settings need to be updated to work on the T-Mobile network.
- Insert the activate SIM card, turn on the device, and open a web page.
- Some devices may update automatically but if not, change your settings using the BYOD T-Mobile data & APN settings.
- Contact the device manufacturer for further instructions if data and picture messaging are still not working.
Was this helpful?