As millions have already learned, it’s easy to bring your unlocked device to T-Mobile. Most phones can work on our network but we suggest you check out the details below before you start using your unlocked Android or Windows device. Check out the Setup guide for non-T-Mobile Apple devices.
On this page:
T-Mobile is unable to guarantee devices from other carriers or those without T-Mobile software will work on our network. For additional details, see the Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer.
- T-Mobile isn't able to test Non-T-Mobile Devices’ call quality, performance, data speed, feature compatibility, or other functionalities. Experiences may vary depending on the original carrier settings.
- Contact the manufacturer with any questions or problems regarding the device functionality, operation, or performance.
- Check your warranty and contract with your current carrier to see what conditions apply to unlocking the device.
- Coverage and access to our high speed 4G LTE network is not guaranteed and isn't available in some areas.
- Your device must support the frequencies used by T-Mobile.
- A device must be unlocked to be compatible with the T-Mobile network. Check out Unlock your mobile wireless device if needed.
- T-Mobile can't provide an unlock code, contact the original carrier to request an unlock code.
- If your device isn't compatible after using the steps below, you can trade in your current device and upgrade your device to a T-Mobile phone or tablet.
BYOD Check online
- Go to the IMEI Status Check | BYOD & SIM Cards | T-Mobile website.
- Enter your IMEI and click Check this phone to view the BYOD eligibility.
- If the checker shows "No match found," verify the device supports T-Mobile frequencies. Contact the manufacturer if your unsure of the device frequencies.
- Determine if your device supports VoLTE and Extended Range LTE.
Start using your device
- Use the device's user guide to determine which T-Mobile SIM card you need to purchase, see Buy a SIM card.
- If you are not a T-Mobile customer and need help activating your phone or tablet, find a plan that is right for you.
Already have an account?
Internet and picture messaging settings need to be updated to work on the T-Mobile network.
- Insert the activate SIM card, turn on the device, and open a web page.
- Some devices may update automatically but if not, change your settings using the BYOD T-Mobile data & APN settings.
- Contact the device manufacturer for further instructions if data and picture messaging are still not working.
Was this helpful?