Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMHS) - also referred to as Wi-Fi Sharing or tethering - lets you securely share your device's Internet connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices on T-Mobile’s high-speed nationwide network. If you want a plan with SMHS - check our Magenta or Magenta Plus plans.
On this page:
We're here for you: During times of need, T-Mobile is here to help. Check out the COVID-19 customer updates page to learn more about getting 20 GB of free Smartphone Mobile HotSpot data.
You'll need the following to use SMHS on your device
- Wi-Fi-enabled or Bluetooth-enabled device
- A plan that includes SMHS. Most plans include it, see Cost and eligibility.
- Coverage as SMHS only works in 4G and 4G LTE coverage: View our coverage map.
Turn on and start using
- On your SMHS device, turn on Personal Hotspot or Wi-Fi Sharing (SMHS).
- Steps for turning SMHS on vary by device.
- Choose your device and look in the Connections & Network drawer for device-specific steps.
- On the device you want to share data with, connect to the mobile hotspot network you just turned on.
If you don't want to use Wi-Fi, you can use a USB cable to connect to other devices (additional software and setup may be required on your device -- you can check the Devices page for steps).
- Shows you how much SMHS is included with your plan. This appears with your data & add-ons.
- Helps you view how much SMHS you've used.
- Mobile HotSpot troubleshooting
- Internet and data issues
- Issues connecting game systems, TVs, or other devices to your SMHS: Contact your device manufacturer for support as we can't guarantee SMHS will be compatible with all devices.
- SMHS is included with Magenta, T-Mobile ONE, and Simple Choice plans.
- The price varies depending on the data allotment of your plan, such as 3 GB with our Magenta plan or 20 GB with Magenta Plus.
- You can add more high speed data if you need to. Use My T-Mobile or the T-Mobile app to view available options.
- A data feature is required on your line for SMHS to function.
- SMHS lets you share your phone, tablet, or Wi-Fi Hotspot's high-speed data with other Wi-Fi enabled or tethered devices.
- You can share your Internet connection with up to 10 devices.
- While connected to SMHS you can still make and receive calls and texts on your phone.
- SMHS on your device is different from location hotspots, like the Wi-Fi you connect to at a coffee shop or airport, and hotspot devices, like the devices sold by T-Mobile.
- For Simple Choice customers, once you reach your high-speed data allotment, your SMHS and on-device data speed is reduced to 2G speeds.
- Customers with a Simple Choice unlimited plan will have their SMHS speeds reduced after using 14 GB of mobile hotspot data. In either case, your data won’t stop — you’ll just experience slower speeds until the end of your billing cycle.
On all T-Mobile plans, during congestion, the small fraction of customers using >50GB/mo. may notice reduced speeds until next bill cycle due to data prioritization.