Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMHS) - also referred to as Wi-Fi Sharing or tethering - lets you securely share your device's Internet connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices on T-Mobile’s high-speed nationwide network. If you want a plan with SMHS - check our Magenta or Magenta MAX plans.
On this page:
You'll need the following to use SMHS on your device
- Wi-Fi-enabled or Bluetooth-enabled device
- A plan that includes SMHS. Most plans include it, check out Cost and eligibility for details.
- Coverage as SMHS only works in 4G and 4G LTE coverage: View our coverage map.
Turn on and start using
- On your SMHS device, turn on Personal Hotspot or Wi-Fi Sharing (SMHS).
- Steps for turning SMHS on vary by device.
- Select your device and open the Connections & Network drawer for device-specific steps.
- On the device you want to share data with, connect to the mobile hotspot network you just turned on.
If you don't want to use Wi-Fi, you can use a USB cable to connect to other devices (additional software and setup may be required on your device. Check the Devices page for steps.
- Displays how much SMHS is included with your plan. This appears with your data & add-ons.
- Helps you understand how much SMHS you've used.
- Log in to T-Mobile.com to check your usage.
- Mobile HotSpot troubleshooting
- Internet and data issues
- Issues connecting game systems, TVs, or other devices to your SMHS: Contact your device manufacturer for support as we can't guarantee SMHS will be compatible with all devices.
- SMHS is included with Magenta, ONE Plan, and Simple Choice plans.
- The price varies depending on the data allotment of your plan, such as 5 GB with our Magenta or Magenta MAX plan with 40 GB.
- You can add more high-speed data if you need to. Use the T-Mobile app or log into T-Mobile.com to view available options. Learn how to Add or remove services.
- A data feature is required on your line for SMHS to function.
- SMHS lets you share your phone, tablet, or Wi-Fi Hotspot's high-speed data with other Wi-Fi-enabled or tethered devices.
- Share your Internet connection with up to 10 devices.
- While connected to SMHS, make and receive calls and texts on your phone.
- SMHS on your device is different from location hotspots, like the Wi-Fi you connect to at a coffee shop or airport, and hotspot devices, like the devices sold by T-Mobile.
- For Simple Choice plans, once the high-speed data allotment has been reached, SMHS and on-device data speed is reduced to 2G speeds.
- Simple Choice unlimited plans will have SMHS speeds reduced after using 14 GB of mobile hotspot data. In either case, your data won’t stop, you’ll experience slower speeds until the end of your billing cycle.
- On all T-Mobile plans, during congestion, a small fraction of customers using >50GB/month may notice reduced speeds until the next bill cycle due to data prioritization.
Was this helpful?