We want you connected, and Mobile Hotspot should give you Wi-Fi wherever you go.
Read me first
Check your connecting device:
Make sure it is within 15 feet of the hotspot.
Try connecting a different computer or T-Mobile device to the hotspot. We can't support game systems, TVs, or non-T-Mobile phones or tablets.
Check that all timeout, power saving, or hibernate features are off.
Test to see if it can successfully connect to other Wi-Fi networks. If not, the problem is not with the hotspot.
Try accessing a different website or app. If they work are expected, the hotspot is not the problem.
Close or disable any programs running in the background and clear the browser cache & history.
Make sure it's connected to the right Wi-Fi network.
Hotspot connection issues
Smartphone Mobile Hotspot (SMHS)
Supported T-Mobile phones and tablets that use your T-Mobile network as Wi-Fi for other devices.
- Check the T-Mobile app to verify that you haven’t exceeded the high-speed data amount included in your plan.
- If your phone can load a web page, the T-Mobile data works. Contact the other device manufacturer.
- If you need help setting up this feature or with any of the steps below, visit our Device tutorials.
Mobile Hotspot equipment
T-Mobile standalone Mobile Hotspot devices, not your phone, that provide a Wi-Fi connection for other devices.
- Mobile Hotspot devices only support using WPS security.
- The connecting device must have a b/g Wi-Fi radio.
- If the Hotspot is plugged into a USB port, disconnect it.
- If you need help with doing any step on the device, visit our Device tutorials.
Once you've checked all of the above:
- Make sure you're in T-Mobile coverage and have at least 2 bars of signal in your area. If you're roaming, check out our Data Passes.
- Verify that the Mobile Hotspot or Smartphone Mobile Hotspot feature is turned on.
- Check that the connecting device's Wi-Fi is turned on.
- Update to the latest firmware version for all devices.
- Restart the Hotspot device or phone.
- Restart the devices you are trying to connect to the Hotspot.
- Delete the Wi-Fi profile on the connecting device and re-add it.
Still need help?
If you're still experiencing the problem, call us at 1-877-746-0909. It's best if you can call from a different phone than the one you are having issues with.
Standalone Mobile Hotspot equipment doesn't turn on
- Check the charging indicator lights up when you plug in your Hotspot. This can take up to 20 minutes.
- Use the charger that came with the device. Test an alternate if one is available.
- Plug the Mobile Hotspot into the charger first, then plug the charger into a wall outlet.
- Try a different power outlet. Make sure the outlet works with another device, like a lamp.
- If you're still experiencing the problem, call us at 1-877-746-0909.
Was this helpful?