Talking isn't the only thing you can do with T-Mobile calling services. Know more with 411 directory assistance, use call forwarding and call waiting to manage your calls, see who's calling with caller ID and Scam Shield, and much more.
Caller ID is a free service at T-Mobile that displays a caller’s name and number even if they're not in your contact list. All T-Mobile customers with 12 voice lines or less are eligible for free Caller ID.
Caller ID name displays the name, city, and state of incoming calls if they are not already stored in your phone. Because of landline limitations, some numbers may not display on Caller ID. If you have a landline phone, you most likely have Enhanced Landline Caller ID. If not, a combination of the caller's city, state, "Wireless caller" or "T-Mobile Wireless" and their mobile number appears on the caller ID.
To activate, simply download the new Scam Shield app or you can add any service feature to your line by changing your services on My T-Mobile.
Scam Shield app
The free Scam Shield™ app is your ultimate call control center to activate and access scam protections. You can activate Scam Block and Caller ID, see the calls T-Mobile has blocked on your behalf, mark favorites, and report likely scam calls. Learn more about T-Mobile's Scam Shield app.
Scam Shield Premium
Scam Shield Premium delivers advanced call controls beyond the free services included with Scam Shield, to help combat unwanted robocalls and manage nuisance calls. Features include:
- Sending entire categories of calls directly to voicemail, including telemarketers, political solicitations, and fundraising calls
- Reverse Number Lookup for unknown callers and the option to create Always Block lists that live on the network—not just your contact list—so your preferences will stay, even if you delete the app or get a new device
- Voicemail-to-text, which sends you a transcription of a voicemail via an SMS message, email, or in the Visual Voicemail app
- All of the Scam Shield Premium features are included in all Magenta Plus plans. Other plans can be upgraded to Scam Shield Premium for just $4/line per month.
411 directory assistance allows you to reach a live operator for directory assistance from your T-Mobile phone. To connect, dial 411, and send the call. Each 411 call costs up to $2.99, plus talk time for prepaid plans. Things to keep in mind when using 411 directory assistance:
- Three directory listings are included per call.
- Using toll-free area codes to call 411 won't avoid the directory assistance charge.
- International directory assistance isn't available.
Call forwarding allows you to forward your incoming calls to another number. You can set it up to forward all your calls immediately. Or, you can set it up to forward if you don't answer the call, if your phone is turned off, or if you're out of signal range.
Be aware of the following when using call forwarding:
- You can't forward calls to international numbers.
- You can only forward calls to 10- or 11-digit numbers.
- Forwarding while roaming depends on the host country's network capabilities.
For steps on call forwarding:
- Go to the Devices page.
- Select your phone.
- Scroll down to the How Tos section and select Calling & Contacts.
- Select Block and manage calls for your device.
- Follow the steps for setting up call forwarding for your device.
Have more questions about call forwarding when you don't have your phone with you? Check out Get started with DIGITS.
Call waiting and call hold are used together. If you receive an incoming call while you're on the phone, you hear a tone letting you know another call is coming in. If you answer the incoming call, the first call is automatically placed on hold. You can then switch between the calls, or join the calls using conference calling.
For prepaid plans, minutes are deducted for each incoming call when using call waiting.