Learn about the Forever Upgrade program. Forever Upgrade is no longer available for new enrollments. Currently enrolled customers can get additional information below.
On this page:
- Forever Upgrade is a program that was available for enrollment September 17, 2021-November 1, 2021. Forever Upgrade is no longer available for new enrollments.
- With Forever Upgrade every two or more years, you can upgrade to the latest iPhone and get up to $800 off when you:
- Trade-in your eligible enrolled device.
- Maintain an eligible Go5G Next, Go5G Plus, Magenta MAX, Sprint MAX, or other equivalent rate plan such as Magenta Plus, ONE Plus, or Business Unlimited Ultimate, including all 55+, First Responder, Military, and Business plan versions. Premium add-on features such as MAXUp, PlusUp, Unlimited for All Plus, and Unlimited for All Premium are also eligible.
- Wait at least 24 months to upgrade.
- There’s no additional charge for Forever Upgrade.
- You will lose your Forever Upgrade benefit and not be able to reenroll if you:
- Switch to an ineligible plan.
- Trade in your iPhone for a non-eligible device.
- If you upgrade before 24 months to another eligible iPhone via a full-price purchase or finance agreement, you’ll keep your Forever Upgrade benefit, which will be available 24 months after your most recent upgrade.
To redeem your Forever Upgrade benefit of up to $800 off a new iPhone, you must:
- Be enrolled in the Forever Upgrade program on a qualifying rate plan.
- Wait at least 24 months after your most recent upgrade. If you purchased your iPhone on an Equipment Installment Plan, you must also pay at least 24 installment payments.
- Purchase an eligible iPhone through our Equipment Installment Plan; any required down payment and tax on the pre-credit price is due at sale.
- Trade in your eligible Forever Upgrade-enrolled iPhone in good condition – it should power on, have no screen damage, and should not have any liquid damage. In addition, you must turn off any security features like Find My iPhone.
- Remain active and in good standing on a qualifying voice rate plan with your new eligible iPhone for the duration of the credits.
- If you have remaining installments after 24 months:
- Important: You must also pay at least 24 installment payments before redeeming your Forever Upgrade benefit. You can make an additional payment, if necessary, towards your Equipment Installment Plan online, over the phone, or in a Retail store. The additional payment must go towards the eligible Equipment Installment Plan on the Forever Upgrade-enrolled line; additional payments toward the bill will not meet the requirements for Forever Upgrade redemption.
- Once you have also paid at least 24 installment payments, you have the option during your upgrade to have the remaining installment balance paid for you.
- The option to have your remaining installment balance paid for you is available online, over the phone, and in T-Mobile Retail stores. This option is not available through Walmart, BestBuy, or Apple Stores. If your Equipment Installment Plan is currently receiving promotional credits, the remaining credits will stop once the remaining installment balance is paid for you.
You’ve recently made a change to your rate plan or upgraded to a device that does not qualify for Forever Upgrade and you can no longer take advantage of Forever Upgrade’s trade-in value of up to $800 every two years.
Why did I receive a message from T-Mobile saying my line was now ineligible for Forever Upgrade or unenrolled?
You received this message because you either upgraded your phone to one that is not eligible for the Forever Upgrade program or removed your qualifying rate plan or data feature. When you trade in your Forever Upgrade phone for one that is not eligible for the program (like an Android device) or through an ineligible channel (like leasing), you no longer own the eligible iPhone needed to get up to $800 trade-in value and no longer qualify for the Forever Upgrade program. When you change your rate plan / data feature to one that is not eligible for the Forever Upgrade program (like T-Mobile Essentials or Go5G), you no longer have a qualifying plan and no longer qualify for the Forever Upgrade program.
Can I re-enroll in Forever Upgrade?
Yes! You can get back into the Forever Upgrade program if you meet the requirements below.
- If you changed your qualifying rate plan or feature, you can change back to a qualifying plan or data feature within 30 days and automatically enroll back into Forever Upgrade.
- If you upgraded to a phone that doesn’t qualify for Forever Upgrade or through an ineligible channel you may be able to return eligible devices to restore your status in the Forever Upgrade program by returning the device within 14 days from your purchase. See Returns to learn more.
If I re-enroll in Forever Upgrade, when can I take advantage of the guaranteed trade-in value?
If you re-enroll by making timely changes to your account, your Forever Upgrade benefit will be available 24 months after your most recent eligible upgrade. Depending on how much of the month you didn’t have an eligible plan or device, your 24 month time to redeem your benefit may be extended by another month.
You’ve recently upgraded to a new device that qualifies for Forever Upgrade and your redemption date has been reset to 24 months from this upgrade. You are still enrolled in Forever Upgrade and can continue to take advantage of Forever Upgrade’s trade-in value of up to $800 every two years.
Why did I receive a message from T-Mobile saying I performed a Qualifying Early Upgrade?
You received this message because you upgraded your phone to one that is eligible for the Forever Upgrade program before 24 months had passed since your last qualifying upgrade. Your new phone is enrolled in the Forever Upgrade program with up to $800 trade-in value locked-in every two or more years! Since you upgraded before 24 months has passed, your locked-in value won’t apply to this upgrade and you can instead take advantage of our other great promotions on this phone.
Why did my redemption date change after I upgraded?
Forever Upgrade gives you up to $800 in trade-in value every two or more years. Your redemption date changed because you upgraded before the two-year mark. Your new redemption date to receive up to $800 in trade-in value is 24 months from your most recent upgrade date. If you recently upgraded to a new device that qualifies for Forever you will receive a notification from T-Mobile, you are still enrolled in Forever Upgrade.
Can I get my previous redemption date back after a Qualifying Early Upgrade?
Your earliest redemption date will always be 24 months after your most recent qualifying purchase or upgrade. Although your redemption date has changed, your new phone is now enrolled in the Forever Upgrade program with up to $800 trade-in value locked-in! If you have additional questions about your Forever Upgrade tenure and redemption dates, talk to us.
Forever Upgrade available with Go5G Next, Go5G Plus, or MAX plan & up to $800 in future trade-in value via monthly bill credits Limited-time offer. Trade in current eligible iPhone for a new eligible iPhone every 24+ months. Trade-in value is based on full retail price of trade-in device up to $800 & applied to retail price of new device; no cash value. Qualifying credit, device, & finance agreement on same eligible line required; contact us before cancelling service after upgrade to continue remaining bill credits, or credits stop & balance is due. Trading in before 24 months resets trade-in value and time to redeem. Program may end & is subject to change at any time. Up to $800 via trade-in credit & bill credits; must be active and in good standing on Go5G Next, Go5G Plus, or MAX plan to receive credits; allow 2 bill cycles. Max 1/line & 4/account. May not be combinable with some offers or discounts (e.g. other device promotions on same line & service discounts).
Was this helpful?