FamilyMode is a T-Mobile-branded app for parents to monitor their family's internet on the T-Mobile cellular network and any Wi-Fi connection.
On this page:
- Current software versions supported:
- iOS version is 11.0 or greater
- Android version is 6.0 or greater (Android 5.0 is no longer supported with devices, such as Galaxy Core Prime, Galaxy Grand Prime, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Tab A & 8.0, LG K7, and LG Optimus L90)
- The app can be used in or out of the home, whether you’re on a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
- The FamilyMode app allows parents to control when and where their family can access the internet.
- The app currently supports English only. There are no plans at this time to add additional languages.
- If the customer has their device set to Spanish, the FM app will read in Spanish. This is done through their device settings and not on the app.
- The app must be installed on the parent line and each family member’s line for the parent to control each device.
- FamilyMode is compatible with Family Allowances and FmailyWhere, but is not compatible with Web Guard.
- Customers will be able to manage the following items:
- Control data usage (Pause or resume access whenever)
- Provides real-time location information
- Filter web content (On mobile device and on Wi-Fi connected devices)
- See device usage (apps used, websites visited)
- In-home device management of network connected devices with the optional FamilyMode Home Base.
- Changes to settings in the app may take up to five minutes to take affect, or have the you can restart your device to have them take affect immediately.
Watch our video tutorial here: How to Set Up T-Mobile FamilyMode: Manage Your Family's Digital Life - YouTube
Setting up for the first time
- If you use a VPN or VPN app, turn it off while you get set up.
- Open the app and press Get Started.
- Agree to the user agreement.
- Select Set up parent app.
- Log in using your T-Mobile ID.
- Create profiles for each family member.
Adding a new family member
- In the FamilyMode app, tap the Menu icon in the top-left on the home screen.
- Tap Add Profile.
- Enter your family member's name.
- Add a photo of your family member. Profiles without photos will be shown with their first initial.
- Set the Filter Level.
- Set Time Limits.
- Set BedTime.
- Assign your family member's devices to your new profile.
The Home screen
From the home screen, you can manage the following options by tapping the Menu button on the top-left corner:
- Home - Takes you back to the home screen.
- Add Profile - Lets you create a new profile for a family member.
- Devices - Shows you every device that’s been added to FamilyMode.
- Settings - Allows you to do the following:
- Check your T-Mobile ID login or tap Sign out
- Reset your FamilyMode account data
- Turn on/off push notifications
- Set up and enable PIN lock
- Check Homebase firmware
- Disable Home Base
- Remove Home Base
- Review legal documents
Setting the filter level
- Select the profile of the family member you'd like to set a filter level for from the home screen.
- Tap the Filter Level you'd like to set. See below for descriptions of these levels.
- High - Works for kids 6-12 years old. General platforms like education and kid-safe experiences are available by default while filtering out sites designed for older age groups, like social media.
- Medium - Crafted for teens 13-17 years old. Most platforms, categories, and apps are available while limiting access to many popular apps or sites that are 18+. Inappropriate categories are filtered and invisible by default.
- Low - Appropriate for ages 18 years old and up. Access to nearly all platforms, categories, and apps is available, though explicit and mature content is filtered out by default.
- None - Designed for profiles that you want FamilyMode to ignore, or just be able to Pause, and set BedTimes/OffTimes for. NOTE: Features such as Filtering, Time Limits, and Usage are not available for profiles set to None.
- Tap Save.
Setting up the lock code
- Open the FamilyMode app.
- From the Home screen, tap Menu > Manage > Lock Code.
- Switch the Enable Lock Code toggle to ON (right).
- Enter a 4-digit code as the code you would like to use, and then re-enter it to verify that you have the right code in place.
- If your phone is equipped with Apple Touch ID, a new item will appear in the Lock Code management screen. Turn the toggle ON to enable Touch ID to unlock your FamilyMode app.
- When you launch the FamilyMode app next, you will see one of the following screens, depending on whether Touch ID is enabled:
- Enter your 4-digit code
- Touch ID
Disabling and resetting the app lock code
- From the FamilyMode app's Home screen, tap Menu > Manage > Lock Code.
- Switch the Enable Lock Code toggle to OFF (left). This will delete the previous lock code that was set.
- Switch the Enable Lock Code toggle back to ON to set a new lock code using the steps above.
Recovering a lost or forgotten Lock Code
If you lose or forget your Lock Code you will need to remove and reinstall the FamilyMode app on the Parent device. After the reinstall the Lock PIN will be disabled. You should be able to login to the account with your T-Mobile ID and set up the Lock PIN if you want, or you can leave it disabled.
Setting app restrictions
It is possible for family members to delete the app which will allow them to no longer have access to data, if restrictions are not enabled. In order to set app restrictions to prevent the app from being deleted, follow these steps:
The parent receives a notification if the VPN is interfered with. To restrict app deletion on iOS 12 follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Screen Time.
- Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Switch Content & Privacy Restrictions to On.
- Tap iTunes & App Store Purchases.
- Tap Deleting Apps.
- Tap Don't Allow.
- Open the app on the kid’s managed Android device after it has been updated to 2.3.0 (3) or later.
- On the banner at the bottom of the app with the message Device Admin needs attention choose FIX.
- On the Device Admin isn’t authorized. pop-up tap OK.
- On the Prevent FamilyMode from being deleted screen choose Open accessibility settings.
- On the Accessibility screen choose FamilyMode decision prevention.
- On the FamilyMode deletion prevention screen choose the Use service switch to turn it On.
- On the Use FamilyMode deletion prevention pop-up tap OK.
- On the FamilyMode deletion prevention screen Use service should be highlighted. FamilyMode Deletion Prevention is enabled.
- Return to the FamilyMode app.
The History section of a family member’s profile displays a list of sites that were visited and even shows you sites that were attempted to be accessed even though they were filtered out.
- Open the profile of the family member you would like to view History for.
- Tap the History section.
- The History page will load, detailing the list of websites visited by the family member, with the most recent websites listed at the top.
The Filtered tab will show the date and time of attempts to access a Filtered site. To always allow a filtered website:
- Click on the website you want to always allow.
- Tap Set as Allowed.
- The site will no longer be filtered and can always be accessed except during Pauses, BedTimes, OffTimes, and when a Time Limit has been reached. In addition, it will now appear under your family member’s profile in the Custom Filter section.
The Visited tab displays websites that were opened by devices under your family member’s profile by date and time. To filter a visited website:
- Click on the website you want to filter.
- Tap Set as Not Allowed.
- The site will now be filtered and can no longer be accessed.
- A toggle for this site will now be present under Custom Filters within the family member’s profile.
The History section of a profile is tied to the profile it is assigned to. Currently the only way to delete this history is to delete the profile. To delete and create a new profile follow these instructions:
- In the FamilyMode app, navigate to the family member's profile screen.
- Tap Edit at the top right.
- Tap Delete Profile.
- Tap Delete again to confirm.
- Open the FamilyMode Menu.
- Tap Add a new Profile and then recreate your profile with a different name.
Set a BedTime
BedTime is one of FamilyMode's signature features. It allows you to set a bedtime in the evening when a family member's devices need to go offline for the night to avoid late night browsing and an awake time for the next morning when online activity may resume.
- Select the family member that you want to set a BedTime for, and select BedTime from the profile settings.
- Turn on BedTime by toggling the Enable switch ON (to the right), and then tap on the BedTime to set the BedTime and Awake times for this family member.
Set an OffTime
OffTime makes it easy to schedule times throughout the week when the Internet is unavailable so that kids can play, do homework, or just get some plain old family time in.
- Open the appropriate family member's profile in the FamilyMode app. The option to set an OffTime is located at the bottom of the profile settings options.
- Tap OffTime to begin.
- Tap Add OffTime.
- Use the Create OffTime screen to set the name, days of the Week and time of day for this OffTime.
- Once you are finished, tap Done. That will add the OffTime to your family member's OffTimes list.
Setting Time Limits
Time Limits is a powerful feature that allows you to control how much time your family members spend. You can limit by day, platform, or by a particular category of website.
- Open the profile of the family member you would like to set time limits for.
- Tap on Time Limits.
- Tap the toggle to enable Time Limits. The Daily Time Limit option and platforms/categories will appear.
- Scroll down to find the platform or category you'd like to adjust time limits for.
- Tap a Platform or Category to change its limits.
- Scroll up or down on the time dial to change the limit.
- Make sure to tap Save in the top-right corner when you are finished.
With Usage, you can view the duration of all Internet activity by day, week, or month.
- Open the profile of the family member you would like to view usage for.
- Tap the Usage section.
- The Usage page will load, detailing your family member's internet activity for the day.
FamilyMode gives you the power to pause the whole network, individual family members, or even specific devices. In order to pause a whole wireless network or a device connected to Wi-Fi, you need to have the FamilyMode base station installed on your wireless network.
To Pause the whole network
- On the Home Screen, tap the Pause button.
- When prompted, confirm that you would like to pause your internet access.
- To unpause, tap the Pause button again on the home screen.
To Pause a family member
- On the Home Screen, tap the family member you want to pause.
- On their Profile Screen, tap Pause.
- To unpause the family member, tap the Pause button on their profile again.
To pause a device
- From the Home Screen, tap the Devices icon at the top right (the icon looks like a laptop and smartphone).
- Select the device you want to pause from the Devices List to enter the settings screen for that device.
- Tap Pause on the Device Settings screen.
- To unpause, tap the Pause button the Device Settings screen again.
Using custom filters will give you control of what websites can be visited on each device connected to FamilyMode.
Accessing Custom Filters
- From the Home Screen, select the family member's profile you'd like to manage custom filters for.
- Select the Filter section from the family member's settings.
- Tap the Custom Filter button at the bottom of the filter settings.
Setting an always allow a website
- On the Filter Settings screen, tap Custom Filter on the bottom.
- Tap Add Website and enter the URL (web address) of the site you’d like to allow.
- Tap Done.
- The family member will now be able to access the site no matter the filter level or setting, except during OffTimes, BedTimes, Pauses, and when a Time Limit has been reached.
Filtering out a website
- Tap the button next to the URL to change it to Not Allowed.
- The family member will no longer be able to access the site no matter the filter level or setting.
Removing a site from Custom Filters
- Tap Edit in the top right corner while within the Custom Filters screen.
- Tap the Delete button beside each website you would like to remove from custom filters.
- Tap Done to save.
Rewards are an easy way to send extra online time, and they expire at midnight, so whatever time you added goes back to normal on the following day. You can send as many Rewards as you’d like throughout the day.
To send a Reward
- Tap a Profile from the home screen, then tap the star in the top right corner or select Rewards from the feature list.
- Pick which type of Reward you’d like to send:
- Extend a Time Limit Today
- Disable an OffTime Today
- Late BedTime Tonight
- Set the Reward based on the existing settings, and press Send to finish.
- Pick Extend Time Limit Today to select any existing Time Limit and add additional time to it.
- Pick Disable OffTime Today to clear out an existing OffTime, just for the day.
- Pick Late BedTime Tonight to set a new start time for this evening’s BedTime.
Use these T-Mobile FamilyMode videos to assist you with the tasks above.
- BedTime - With the BedTime feature parents can set a bedtime for each family member and their devices.
- Filter - With the filter feature you can choose one of four different filter levels for your family.
- History - The History feature is simple and straightforward.
- Location - Remember the Location feature only works for mobile devices that are enabled with FamilyMode and have their location services enabled.
- OffTime - The OffTimes feature is designed to make sure kids can go play outside, get homework done, or finish their chores distraction free.
- Pause - The ability to Pause is one of FamilyMode's coolest features.
- Rewards - The Rewards feature allows parents to grant extra online time with the push of a button.
- Time Limits - Using Time Limits makes limiting time on phones a snap.
- Usage - The Usage feature gives you a view of how you, your kids, and your whole family spend time online.
- By default, the FamilyMode HomeBase device cannot manage Android 10+ and iOS devices because they employ MAC Randomization by default.
- Unless the Android 10+ or iOS device settings are changed or the FamilyMode child app is installed on the devices, these devices show up as ‘Unknown Device’ within FamilyMode and cannot be managed.
Suggested option to manage an Android 10+ or iOS 14 device
Install and configure the FamilyMode app in child mode on the device.
Alternate solution: Use the optional HomeBase hardware to manage the devices while their MAC Randomization feature is disabled:
Disable Android's Randomized MAC Address feature
- Open the Android Settings app.
- Tap Network & Internet.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap the gear icon associated with the wireless connection to be configured.
- Tap Advanced.
- Tap Privacy.
- Tap Use Device MAC.
Disable iOS's Private Address feature
- Open the iOS Settings app.
- Tap on Wi-Fi.
- Tap the "i" next to the Wi-Fi you'd like to manage the connection for.
- Tap the Private Address toggle to disable it in the off position.