Mobile Without Borders keeps you connected while traveling in Canada and Mexico with unlimited talk, text, and data with up to 5GB of high-speed data (or a maximum of your plan's high-speed data allotment, whichever comes first).
On this page:
- Mobile Without Borders gives you unlimited calling and texting between the US, Mexico, and Canada.
- Most plans offer a 5GB data allotment (or the max of your plan’s data allotment, whichever comes first) that includes both phone and tethering data usage.
- T-Mobile customers never pay data overages – even if you manage to use up your high-speed data, you automatically stay connected with unlimited data at speeds up to 256kbps for most plans.
- Mobile Without Borders included at no extra charge on plans for MAX, Magenta, ONE, Simple Choice, Business Unlimited and more.
- You can add it to most other plans as an optional feature for an additional cost.
- The full Mobile Without Borders experience is currently not available for basic plans like T-Mobile Essentials and Unlimited Talk & Text Only.
- Even if you aren't eligible for Mobile Without Borders, roaming in Canada and Mexico may be available through a different plan or feature on your account.
- For example, T-Mobile Essentials provides data in Canada and Mexico at up to 128kbps at no additional cost. See your plan details for additional information.
- If you're not sure what plan you have or what's included, contact us by phone, message, or social and we'll be happy to check it for you.
- If you're on an unlimited high-speed plan, we'll send you an alert at 80% and 100% of your high-speed data limit while traveling in Canada and Mexico. You can also check overall data usage by dialing the short code #WEB# on your device.
- Tethering data usage in Canada or Mexico deducts from the 5GB allotment but it doesn't affect any tethering usage limits in the U.S.
- Due to Music Freedom partner licensing and availability, some services are unavailable for use while in Mexico and Canada. For more info, check out Music Freedom.
- While Mobile Without Borders only applies to Canada and Mexico, we offer unlimited text and 2G data in over 215 countries and destinations around the world with Simple Global on qualifying postpaid plans. Some plans even include some high-speed data in select countries.
- See Roaming information on T-Mobile.com to check out the latest rates and options.
Mobile Without Borders is an incredible benefit and allows customers to stay connected when traveling in Canada and Mexico. In order to prevent usage beyond the intent of the product, we implemented a limit on the amount of monthly 4G LTE data. Less than 1% of people with this benefit who travel to Mexico and Canada use over 5GB a month. If you need more high-speed data for use in Canada and Mexico you can add an International Pass, after high-speed data runs out you will always stay connected with unlimited data at speeds up to 128kbps for most plans or 256kbps with MAX / ONE Plus..
- If you are on an unlimited plan, your 5GB of high-speed data is shared between Canada and Mexico. If you travel to both countries in the same billing cycle, you have as much as 5GB to use between the trips.
- If you are on a legacy plan with a high-speed data maximum (i.e. 4GB, 6GB, 10GB), your data allowance is shared across the US, Mexico, and Canada, but you only have up to 5GB of high-speed data in Mexico and Canada combined.
- For example, if you have 4GB of high-speed data total and you use 2GB in the US, you have another 2GB of high-speed data to use in Mexico and Canada.
- If you have 10GB high-speed data total and use 2GB in the US before heading over the border, then you still only have up to 5GB high-speed data in Mexico and Canada combined. After 5GB, you will still have unlimited data at speeds up to 128kbps for most plans. You can use your remaining 3GB of high-speed data when you return to the US.
See the following examples for a thorough breakdown of high-speed data availability (remember, even if you manage to use up your high-speed data, you still have unlimited data at 2G speeds):
|I have a US high-speed data plan of…||Maximum high-speed data available in Mexico/Canada||Example: Data used before visiting Mexico/Canada||Example: High-speed data still available in Mexico/Canada|
During congestion, Essentials plan customers may notice speeds lower than other customers; customers using over 50GB/mo. on all plans may notice further reduced speeds.
Qualifying plan or feature required. Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Device must register on our U.S. network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming or misuse. Limited time offers; subject to change. Capable device required. Voice and text features for direct communications between 2 people; others (e.g. conference & chat lines, etc.) may cost extra. Communications with premium-rate numbers not included and may incur additional charges. Device & coverage impact experience and speeds, which vary. Coverage not available in some areas; we are not responsible for the performance of our roaming partners’ networks.
Was this helpful?