Learn what can cause a phone to become hot and what to do if this happens.
Read me first
Before following the steps below, ensure the following:
You are using the battery that came with phone
You have closed all open apps and restarted the phone
The phone is not plugged into the charger when fully charged
You have removed the phone case, stand, or cover
If the phone only feels warm/slightly hot in these situations, this is normal.
- Apps running in background
- When charging
- Downloading apps, data, etc.
- GPS in use
- Phone cases traps heat
- Screen staying on
- Streaming video or audio
- Video chat
- Remove device case/cover and see if this cools it down.
- Unplug the charger if the phone is fully charged.
- Close apps running in background.
- Close app and browser tabs you are not using
- Uninstall any apps you downloaded before the problem started.
- Turn off network connections you are not using
- Reduce the screen timeout.
- Remove the battery (if removable), inspect for any damage, dust, etc. and reinsert it.
- If the issue continues, test with an alternate battery.
- Most phones come with a safety feature to turn off if they get too hot.
- For additional help with these steps, visit Devices, then select your device and navigate to the specific procedure.
- If your phone gets so hot you cannot hold it, you may contact us or visit a retail store to have the phone checked out by one of our Mobile Experts.