Learn what can cause a phone to become hot and what to do if this happens.
Steps for all issues
- Use the battery that came with the device.
- Close all open apps and restart the device.
- Make sure the device is not plugged into the charger when fully charged.
- Remove the device case, stand, or cover.
When a warm to slightly hot phone is normal
If the phone only feels warm/slightly hot in these situations, this is normal.
- Apps running in the background
- When charging
- Downloading apps, data, etc.
- GPS in use
- Phone cases traps heat
- Screen staying on
- Streaming video or audio
- Video chat
Tips to reduce heat
- Remove device case/cover and check if this cools it down.
- Unplug the charger if the phone is fully charged.
- Close apps running in the background.
- Close app and browser tabs you are not using.
- Uninstall any apps you downloaded before the problem started.
- Turn off network connections you are not using.
- Reduce the screen timeout.
- Remove the battery (if removable), inspect for any damage, dust, etc., and reinsert it.
- If the issue continues, test with an alternate battery.
Was this helpful?