Learn all about Find My Activation Lock.
What is it?
Activation Lock is a feature of Apple Find My that secures your device against anyone else trying to use or sell your lost or stolen device. When this feature is emabled, the Apple ID and password you use for iCloud is securely stored on Apple’s activation servers and linked to your device.
When Find My is turned on, your Apple ID and password will be required to:
- Turn off Find My
- Delete your iCloud account from the device
- Erase All Content and Settings on the device
- Overwrite or restore an device through iTunes
How to disable Find My
You should always turn off Find My and erase your device before selling them or giving them away to ensure the new owner can activate and use the device normally. You can confirm that Activation Lock is disabled by signing into a device when purchasing second-hand.
- In a web browser, visit http://icloud.com/find and log in with your Apple ID.
- Select All Devices, then choose the device you wish to disable Find My on.
- Choose Erase.
- When the device has been erased, select Remove from Account.
You can also learn more about this feature and find additional steps for using another device on Apple's website.
Was this helpful?