Learn about Samsung Smart Switch. For Android 4.2 and earlier, use Samsung Kies.
- Samsung Smart Switch makes it easy to transfer your content to your new Galaxy device.
- Transfer contacts, photos, music, videos, messages, notes, calendars, and more.
- Available as both an Android app and a Windows-based computer app.
The following steps are for the Smart Switch Windows-based computer app. To learn more about the Samsung Smart Switch app for Android, check Samsung Support.
Watch: How to use Samsung Smart Switch
How to wirelessly transfer your data with Samsung Smart Switch to another Android phone.
- Make sure the Smart Switch app is installed on both phones.
- Plug them into their chargers.
- Place the phones within 4 inches of each other.
- Launch Smart Switch on both phones.
- Tap Send data on the old phone.
- Tap Receive data on the new phone.
- Then tap Wireless on both phones.
- On your new phone, you may have to select the type of your old phone.
- Follow any on-screen instructions, since some types of devices may have additional steps.
Download Smart Switch
- Check Samsung's website for instructions to use Samsung Smart Switch.
- Download the most recent version of Smart Switch from Samsung Smart Switch.
- Open the installer to begin the installation process.
- Accept the license agreement by selecting the I accept... checkboxes and then select Next.
- When the installation is complete, select Finish.
Create a backup
- Connect your Samsung device to your computer using the cable that came with the device.
- On the Smart Switch screen, select MORE.
- Select Preferences and then select the Backup items tab.
- Select the content types you would like to back up and then select OK.
- Select Backup on the main Smart Switch screen.
- Select Confirm when the backup is complete.
Transfer files between your computer and an SD card
- Download and install the version Samsung Smart Switch that is compatible with your computer from Samsung.
- Using the USB cable that came with your device, connect the device to the computer.
- Allow your computer to install any required drivers for your device.
- Open Smart Switch on your computer, and allow it to make the connection.
- On your computer, choose Open folder to view files > OK.
- In the Removable Disk window, choose Open folder to view files > OK. Locate the folder containing the files that you want to move.
- Locate the files that you want to move.
- Cut or copy the files, and then paste them into the new location on your computer or SD card.
Follow the device requirements on the software update document, along with the following:
- Use a Samsung USB cable.
- Back up your data before completing the update.
- Connect the mobile device to the computer with the USB cable.
- Open Smart Switch on your computer. If a software update is available for your device, Smart Switch automatically prompts you to update.
- Select Update to begin downloading the necessary files.
- Select OK to proceed. Your device may turn off and on a few times during the update process. When the update is complete, the device returns to the Home screen.
During the update
- Don't use the device or press any keys.
- Don't remove the battery.
- Don't turn off the device.
- Don't disconnect the USB cable until the update is complete.
- You can't place a call during the update; not even an emergency call.
For help troubleshooting problems with the Samsung Smart Switch app, contact Samsung.
Was this helpful?