Learn how to wipe the Motorola Moto X through the hardware keys.
Wipe cache partition
If the phone is not working correctly, you may need to master reset it and also clear the cache partition. These two resets clear different parts of the phone storage. Unlike a master reset, wiping the cache partition does not delete your personal data.
To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:
- With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume down key and Power key for 2-3 seconds until the theBoot options screen appears.
- Release the keys.
- Use the Volume down key to scroll to highlight Recovery.
- Press the Volume up key to select.
- The phone will display the Motorola logo then the Android recovery screen.
- Once the Android recovery screen displays, press and hold the Volume up key for 10-15 seconds.
- Quickly tap and release the Power key.
- The Android recovery screen will appear.
- Scroll down using the Volume down key to highlight wipe cache partition.
- Use the Power key to select.
- The phone will power-cycle.