Learn how to view free space and free up storage on the Motorola Moto X.
To manage the internal storage space, follow these steps:
Clear storage regularly
Clear the storage at least once a week:
Note: Refer to your user manual for instructions.
- Check the available internal device storage. It must be over 150 MB for Android 4.0+.
Note: If it is less, the Android system cannot work properly. You must clear more storage and delete more apps using the following tips.
- Delete unnecessary text messages (SMS) and picture messages (MMS).
- Transfer pictures and media to a computer, and remove it from the phone memory.
- Clear the browser cache, cookies, or history.
- Clear Facebook app cache.
- Manage applications. See section below.
- Delete the call logs.
Set the device to manage some memory
Prevent the storage from being filled as quickly:
- Set the text message limit to delete messages automatically.
Note: The default is 200 text and 20 picture messages. You may use this setting to start with, and decrease it if you continue to have problems.
- Change the setting for email synchronization to download only for the past three days.
Keep managing any applications that you install to keep the system running properly:
- If you notice the device having some problems and you installed apps in the past few days, then uninstall all the new apps. Most device problems are actually caused by app errors.
- View other applications that are using storage or memory
To view the amount of free internal storage, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap the Apps tray.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Storage.
- View the device memory.