Learn how to wipe the Google Nexus 5 using the hardware keys. If the Google Nexus 5 is not working correctly, you may need to master reset it and also clear the cache partition. These two resets clear different parts of the Google Nexus 5 storage. Unlike a master reset, wiping the cache partition does not delete your personal data.
Wipe cache partition
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the Volume Down button, then press and hold the Power button at the same time until the phone turns on.
- Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "Recovery mode."
- Press the Power button to start recovery mode.
- An Android robot with a red exclamation mark will display.
- While holding down the Power button, press and release the Volume Up button, then release the Power button.
- Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe cache partition," then press the Power button to select it. This may take 10 minutes or more to complete.
- Press the Power button to select reboot system now.