With the T-Mobile Network Test Drive iOS app, you can test the T-Mobile network for free for up to 30 days or 30GB of LTE data, whichever comes first.
On this page:
The T-Mobile Network Test Drive app is an iOS only based app that gives potential customers using a compatible unlocked iPhone the option to test our amazing network out before joining. T-Mobile Network Test Drive offers you up to 30 days or 30GB of high-speed data along with unlimited talk and text for free, all while keeping your current carrier and phone number. This gives you the ability to try our network on your iPhone, risk free.
- Use your current phone and phone number.
- During the trial period, you will be provided with a temporary number that you can use voluntarily for calls and texts. By default, your primary number with your existing network provider will be used for calls and texts.
- Once the trial expires, you will not be able to keep the temporary number that you were assigned.
- At the end of the trial, your current provider remains active on your device and the deactivated T-Mobile eSIM profile can be safely removed.
- You'll receive emails and text messages from T-Mobile throughout your trial to notify you of instructions, and status.
- Current T-Mobile, Sprint, and Metro by T-Mobile customers or customers of T-Mobile partners using the T-Mobile network are not eligible (former Test Drive customers must wait six (6) months for eligible to try another test drive).
- The Network Test Drive app will only work on Apple iPhone XS or newer with eSIM capabilities.
- Your Apple iPhone must be unlocked, must be on iOS 14.5 or higher, and not be using eSIM for your current provider.
- If you have an iPhone 12 or newer, you will get to experience T-Mobile's blazing fast 5G network.
- If you have an older or incompatible device, you can still Test Drive by signing up for a Test Drive hotspot. To sign up for the Test Drive hotspot option, visit https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial.
- You can sign up for a free Test Drive account once every six (6) months.
- Network Test Drive is limites to 30 days or 30GB data, whichever occurs first.
What's an eSIM?
Embedded SIM cards (eSIMs) are SIM cards built into the device. If the manufacturer allows it, they may also support multiple profiles.
What's cool about eSIMs?
- eSIMs can be used in multiple devices such as tablets, watches, IoT, and smartphones.
- Smartphones with eSIMs can support multiple profiles that can be downloaded and changed as needed. You can have two lines from the same provider or different ones!
- A physical sim is not required in order to use a device's esim.
- A profile defines all the settings to connect to the T-Mobile network. We identify a profile by the ICCID and pair it to the device EID.
- For devices that support multiple eSIM profiles, such as Dual SIM with eSIM, only one eSIM profile can be enabled at a time. Not all eSIM smartphones can support multiple profiles.
- 5G compatible devices with eSIM will also receive the benefits of 5G if customer's choose to use their eSIM profile on the device.
- To activate the trial, download the T-Mobile Network Test Drive app from the Apple App Store.
- Open the app and allow the app to complete the compatibility check.
- Once your device compatibility is verified, you will be offered to opt-in to important Network Test Drive notifications on your device.
- Enter your name, email and a contact phone number, and accept the terms and conditions.
- Review how to setup the T-Mobile trial profile on your device, then tap next.
- Tap Begin installation.
- Tap Continue to install the T-Mobile network onto your available eSIM profile.
- Tap Add Cellular Plan.
- You now have 2 cellular plans on your device, your primary network (physical SIM) in addition to the T-Mobile Network Test Drive plan. The T-Mobile Test Drive plan will be labeled Secondary. You have the option to rename this if they like.
- The Default Line is used to make calls or send messages. It is recommended you select your Primary network provider as your Default Line. This allows you to be able to send and receive calls from both your current carrier and the T-Mobile trial line without any interruption. You can always change the default line later in Settings.
- It is recommended you set your current network provider as the Primary line, to associate your Apple ID for iMessage and Facetime and to send and receive messages. You can always change this in iMessage & Facetime Settings.
- Select Secondary in Cellular Data. This is very important so that you can experience the T-Mobile data network and get the most out of the Network Test Drive app. It is recommended that you leave Allow Cellular Data Switching turned off. You can change this later in the settings, if you choose. See: eSIM settings: Apple iPhone on iOS 14
- Once complete, you will be presented the trial dashboard and can revisit the app at any time to see your trial progress and data usage or get support.
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Tap Cellular from the Settings menu.
- Tap Secondary under Cellular Plans.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Remove Cellular Plan.
- Tap Remove T-Mobile Plan again to confirm.
- The T-Mobile plan has now been removed from your eSIM profile.
Limited time offer; subject to change; while supplies last. Non-T-Mobile customers only; 1 trial per user. Compatible device req'd. Data access for 30 days or 30GB, whichever is earlier; includes 200MB roaming. Your non-T-Mobile rate plan terms also apply. You may need to upgrade when you switch to get full coverage. Coverage not available in some areas. Not for international use. See Network Management Policies and Terms and Conditions (including arbitration provision) at T-Mobile.com for additional information.
Was this helpful?