Check out new features in the Android 10 operating system.
This document shows you some of the cool new features of Android 10! If you're looking to see if your device has the update or looking for steps to update your device, head on over to our Software updates page and click your device.
- Automatically caption media playing on your phone.
- With a single tap, Live Caption automatically captions videos, podcasts, and audio messages—even stuff you record yourself. Without ever needing wifi or cell phone data.
- Take action right as you reply.
- In Android 10, you get more than just suggested responses to your messages. You also get recommended actions. So, if a friend asks you out to dinner, your phone will suggest you text "thumbs up" emoji. Then, it’ll also pull up directions right in Google Maps. It even works in messaging apps like Signal.
- Hear what’s around you more clearly.
- With the new Sound Amplifier app, your phone can boost sound, filter background noise, and fine tune to how you hear best. Listening to podcasts, watching videos, or talking in a busy room — just plug in your headphones and hear everything more clearly.
- Get around with a swipe and a pull.
- Gestures are now quicker and more intuitive than ever. Go backwards and forwards, pull up the homescreen, and swipe up to see your open apps. All super smooth.
- Take it easy on your eyes. And your battery.
- Android’s new Dark theme uses true black and could keep keep your battery alive longer. Plus, it also changes how your Google apps look, like Calendar and Photos.
Enhanced privacy controls
- Find and adjust all your privacy settings in one place.
- Decide what data is stored, like your Web & App activity. And for how long.
- Control when your location is shared with apps: all the time, while in use, or never.
- Opt out of ad retargeting and personalization.
Faster security updates
- Android devices already get regular security updates. And in Android 10, you'll get them even faster and easier.
- With Google Play system updates, important Security and Privacy fixes can now be sent directly to your phone from Google Play, just the same way all your other apps update.
- You get these fixes as soon as they are available.
- Help guide your kids as they learn, play, and explore online.
- You can set screen time limits, view app activity, manage apps and content restrictions, and see where they are.
Be aware that software from Samsung, LG, OnePlus, and other manufacturers can change what features you may get.
These are the most exciting changes, but that's not all that's coming. You can read Google's Android 10 page for more.