Congratulations on your new purchase! Get steps to set up your new device and transfer data from the old one.
Set up without switching
- Insert the SIM card if the device came with one, turn it on, and follow the on-screen steps to complete the initial setup.
- To get step-by-step instructions, choose your device and select Update & Backup > Out of box setup.
Switch to an Android
Android to Android
We recommend you transfer your data when directed during your device's initial or out-of-box setup process, that's usually the easiest way. You might also check for a manufacturer's app, like Samsung Smart Switch.
You can also use your Google account to switch from one Android device to another:
- Backup your data on the old device by choosing Settings > System > Advanced > Backup.
- Make sure Backup is turned on.
- If backup is off: turn it on and wait for the device to back up your data.
- If backup is on: confirm it recently backed up your data. If your data was not recently backed up, back up the device before proceeding.
- Use the SIM card that came with the new device. Check SIM cards for details.
- Turn on your new device and complete the first time setup.
- Transfer your data to the new device by choosing Settings > Accounts > Add Account > Google.
- Sign in to your Google account where your data is backed up.
- You will be asked if you would like to download your synced information, select Yes.
- Depending on the amount of data backed up it may take a while to download. You must wait for the download to be complete.
Apple to Android
Switch to Apple iOS
Let's set up your new Apple device.
Android to Apple
- Use the Move to iOS app to move your data.
- Android apps cannot be transferred to Apple devices but you may be able to find similar apps at the App Store.
- You can install Google Photos (iPhone) and Google Photos (Android) on both devices for easy photo transfer.
- Use the SIM card that came with the new device. Check the SIM cards page for details.
- Once complete, follow the setup wizard on the new device.
Apple to Apple
- Make sure your current device is connected to Wi-Fi and has Bluetooth on.
- Turn on your new device and place it near your current device, then swipe up on the Hello screen.
- On your current device, make sure the right Apple ID is showing on the pop-up and choose Continue.
- Use your current device to scan the animation on your new device. Wait for a message that says Finish on New [Device].
- On your new device, enter your current device password. If prompted, enter your Apple ID password.
- Follow the instructions to set up Face ID or Touch ID on your new device.
- If your old device used an eSIM, Transfer Cellular Plan will appear on the new device. Select the phone number to transfer and choose Continue.
- Choose how you want to transfer your data and follow the on-screen steps:
- Download from iCloud: Apps & data download in the background and you can use your device immediately. Temporary iCloud storage is available.
- Transfer directly from previous device: You'll need to wait for the transfer to complete before using your new device.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to set up the following services:
- Apple Pay
- Cloud Drive
- App Analytics
- If you have an Apple Watch and you're setting up a new iPhone, you'll be asked if you'd like to transfer your Apple Watch.
- Keep your devices near each other and plugged in to power until the iPhone data migration process is complete.
- Once complete, select Continue on both devices.
- If you're using a physical SIM, either move your SIM card or transfer it to an eSIM.
Still need help?
To learn about additional features for your device, head to Tutorials, locate your device, and find the steps you need.
Was this helpful?