Get started using your Apple iPhone or iPad on iOS 12.
There's a lot you can do with your new device, so here's a quick glance of some basic items to get you started.
- Top button
- Side button
- Volume up/down
- Home/Touch ID sensor
|Cell Signal The number of bars indicates the signal strength of your cellular service. If there's no signal, "No Service" appears|
|Airplane mode You can't make phone calls and other wireless functions may be disabled|
|LTE Your iPhone or iPad is connected to the the LTE network|
|4G Your iPhone or iPad is connected to the 4G UMTS (GSM) or LTE network|
|3G Your iPhone or iPad is connected to the 3G UMTS (GSM) or EV-DO (CDMA) network|
|EDGE Your iPhone or iPad is connected to the EDGE (GSM) network|
|GPRS Your iPhone or iPad is connected to the GPRS (GSM) or 1xRTT (CDMA) network|
|Wi-Fi call Your iPhone is set up to use Wi-Fi Calling. Will also show the carrier name next to the icon.|
|Wi-Fi Your iPhone or iPad is connected to the internet over a Wi-Fi connection|
|Personal Hotspot Your iPhone or iPad is providing a Personal Hotspot for another device|
|Syncing Your iPhone or iPad is syncing with iTunes|
|Network activity Shows that there's network activity. Some 3rd party apps may also use it to show an active process|
|Call Forwarding Call Forwarding is set up|
|VPN You're connected to a network using VPN|
|TTY Software RTT/TTY or Hardware TTY is turned on|
|Lock iPhone is locked|
|Do Not Disturb Do Not Disturb is turned on|
|Portrait orientation lock The screen is locked in portrait orientation|
|Location Services An item is using Location Services|
|Alarm An alarm is set|
|Headphones connected iPhone or iPad is paired with Bluetooth headphones that are turned on and in Bluetooth range|
|Bluetooth battery Shows the battery level of a paired Bluetooth device|
|Battery Shows the iPhone or iPad battery level or charging status. When the icon is yellow, Low Power Mode is on|
No matter what you want to do with your new device, we have plenty of resources available to help you get on your way. Device tutorials (also known as simulators)
When you first turn on your new device, you might see a setup wizard to help get you started. Take a look at the steps below to walk through the setup process.
- Ensure the SIM card is inserted. Device has a non removable battery.
- Power on device.
- Slide finger to the right on the screen.
- Select language and country.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network, or tap Use Cellular Connection.
- Enable or disable Location services, then tap Next.
- Choose to set up Touch ID or Face ID now or later.
- Tap one of the following options:
- Restore from iCloud Backup
- Restore from iTunes Backup
- Set Up as New iPhone
- Move Data from Android
- Follow instructions to create / sign into an Apple ID, sign into iCloud, or connect to a computer. For additional information, see Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support .
Was this helpful?