Un-carrier offers customers tips for staying connected to friends and family
With Tropical Storm Erika expected to hit the Southeast as early as Sunday, T-Mobile’s operations and engineering teams are hard at work actively monitoring weather patterns and preparing equipment and supplies needed to help customers stay connected during the storm.
From readying backup generators, Cell-On-Wheels (COW) and fuel tanks to setting up an engineering Command Center in the areas of expected impact, T-Mobile engineers and rapid response teams are ready to mobilize.
Additionally, T-Mobile’s Network Operation Centers (NOCs) closely manage network traffic during natural disasters and are able to quickly switch to the company’s back-up NOCs if needed.
But before the storm comes, here’s how T-Mobile customers can make sure they are able to connect with friends and family, before, during and after the storm:
- Make sure your phone is fully charged before the storm, and have a plan to recharge your phone in case of a power outage, such as using your car charger or having a portable battery pack on hand.
- Conserve phone battery life during power outages by utilizing your phone’s power save mode and reducing the use of apps.
- Send a text instead of calling. Text messages are more likely to get through during high network usage period since texts require fewer network resources.
- If you have to make a call, keep your calls short so others can also get through. The number of calls spikes during severe weather events, so keep the lines free for emergency workers and your neighbors.
- Keep your phone dry by storing it in a plastic bag or other waterproof covering.
- Use Wi-Fi Calling to conserve network resources or if cellular service is not available. Wi-Fi Calling allows T-Mobile customers with capable devices to text and make and receive voice calls via any Wi-Fi connection.
Customers can stay up to date with the latest Tropical Storm Erika forecasts from NOAA’s National Weather Service at weather.gov and hurricanes.gov. For T-Mobile Customer Care, visit www.my.t-mobile.com or call 611 from your T-Mobile handset.
About T-Mobile US, Inc.
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NYSE: TMUS) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to approximately 59.1 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile US provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. For more information, please visit https://www.t-mobile.com.