Melt-In-Your-Mouth Pot Roast
Slow Cooker Size: 4 to 7 quarts
Serves 4 — 6 people
Recipe adapted from joyouslydomestic.com
- 1 chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- Olive oil
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into large chunks (optional)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
For the seasoning mix:
- 2 tablespoons steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- Combine together seasoning mix in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Coat both sides of meat with olive oil. Sprinkle on a third of the seasoning mix onto each side.
- Sear both sides of the meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer roast to slow cooker.
- Place the vegetables in a large bowl. Drizzle on a little olive oil to coat vegetables. Sprinkle on the remaining seasoning mix. Add the vegetables to the same skillet that was used to sear the meat. Sauté for about five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the vegetables to the top of the roast in the slow cooker. Pour in the beef broth. Cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 9 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- Using a turkey baster, retrieve most of the cooking juices from the slow cooker. Transfer juices to a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat on the stovetop. Whisk together the cornstarch with a little water. Blend into the pan juices while whisking. Bring back to a simmer until thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Transfer the roast and vegetables to a large platter. Ladle the gravy over. Serve immediately.